Instructions for brushing with braces:
- Brush a minimum of 3 times a day, in the morning and at night before bed, and during the day.
- Brush at least 1 extra time during the day. This can be done with a travel brush if away from home. If kids at school can’t brush after lunch- a vigorous swish with water and swallow should be performed.
- Angle your toothbrush to clean all around your brackets and the brush on each tooth for a few seconds before moving on to the next.
- Clean the inside and outside surfaces of all teeth, then the chewing surfaces. Remember to clean your gums, tongue and the roof of your mouth!
- Prescription toothpaste is to be used at bedtime brushing ONLY. See instruction sheet.
Instructions for cleaning between teeth with braces:
- Use an interdental brush or floss your teeth at least once a day. We prefer prior to nighttime brushing.
- Flossing with braces requires SuperFloss or a floss threader.
- The threader or the stiff end of SuperFloss is needed to bypass the archwire so the floss can reach the gums and between the teeth.
- Floss the gumline using a gentle up and down, back and forth motion.
- Don’t floss too forcefully!
- Floss threaders can be purchased at most drug stores in our area
- Interdental brushes are a good alternative to flossing..
Using mouth rinse:
- Plaque cannot be removed using a rinse. Great brushing is the most important aspect of oral health.