To show our commitment to overall oral health, we include the OrthoEssentials kit with every treatment!
Your Crest OrthoEssentials kits includes:
- An Oral-B 5000 electric toothbrush with an Oral-B Ortho brush head (Made especially for use with braces!) This is by far the best electric toothbrush created.
- A SmartGuide Timer: The timer encourages brushing compliance and works automatically when the brush is started.
- Oral-B Superfloss: A threader is part of the floss, ideal for use with braces.
- Crest Pro-HEALTH toothpaste and Pro-Health complete rinse
Crest OrthoEssentials is an oral health program designed to help you keep your mouth clean and healthy while you are wearing braces. It also helps you develop long-term habits for when you are finished with braces to help show off that dazzling Dr. Lawrence smile!
Instructions for brushing with braces:
- Brush at least 2 times a day, in the morning and at night before bed with your power toothbrush.
- Brush at least 1 extra time during the day. This can be done with a manual or travel brush if away from home. If kids at school can’t brush after lunch- a vigorous swish with water and swallow should be performed.
- Angle your toothbrush to clean all around your brackets and the brush on each tooth for a few seconds before moving on to the next. Use your SmartGuide that comes with your toothbrush to guide you when to change mouth sections.
- Clean the inside and outside surfaces of all teeth, then the chewing surfaces. Remember to clean your gums, tongue and the roof of your mouth!
- Prescription toothpaste is to be used at bedtime brushing ONLY. See instruction sheet.
Additional brush heads:
We supply 1 extra replacement brush heads with your kit. The ortho brush heads are not available in stores. Single replacement heads are available in our office for $8.00 each.
Instructions for flossing with braces:
- Floss your teeth at least once a day. We prefer prior to nighttime brushing.
- Flossing with braces requires SuperFloss or a floss threader.
- The threader or the stiff end of SuperFloss is needed to bypass the archwire so the floss can reach the gums and between the teeth.
- Floss the gumline using a gentle up and down, back and forth motion.
- Don’t floss too forcefully!
- Floss threaders can be purchased at most drug stores in our area!
- Interproximal brushes are a good alternative to flossing during the day or when time does not permit.
Using mouth rinse:
- Use 2 tsp of Crest PRO-HEALTH rinse in the morning. Rinse for 1 minute and spit!
- Plaque cannot be removed using a rinse. Great brushing is the most important aspect of oral health.